Types of reportable incidents

Another week another blog post and this week we’re covering reportable incidents. RIDDOR can be a bit intimidating, with 32 pages to read it’s a big document but we’re here to make it a little easier.

RIDDOR is the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013. The law came into force on 1st October 2013 replacing RIDDOR 1995 (as amended). It legally requires employers and other people in control of work premises (known as the ‘responsible person’) to report to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and keep records of the following:

Specified injuries to workers

The list of ‘specified injuries’ in RIDDOR 2013 replaces the previous list of ‘major injuries’ in RIDDOR 1995. Specified injuries are (regulation 4):

  • fractures, other than to fingers, thumbs and toes
  • amputations
  • any injury likely to lead to permanent loss of sight or reduction in sight
  • any crush injury to the head or torso causing damage to the brain or internal organs
  • serious burns (including scalding) which:
  • covers more than 10% of the body
  • causes significant damage to the eyes, respiratory system or other vital organs
  • any scalping requiring hospital treatment
  • any loss of consciousness caused by head injury or asphyxia
  • any other injury arising from working in an enclosed space which:
  • leads to hypothermia or heat-induced illness
  • requires resuscitation or admittance to hospital for more than 24 hours
  • for further guidance on specified injuries is available.

Deaths and injuries

If someone has died or has been injured because of a work-related accident this may have to be reported. Not all accidents need to be reported, other than for certain gas incidents, a RIDDOR report is required only when:

  • the accident is work-related
  • it results in an injury of a type which is reportable
  • types of reportable injury
  • the death of any person

All deaths to workers and non-workers, with the exception of suicides, must be reported if they arise from a work-related accident, including an act of physical violence to a worker.

Over-seven-day incapacitation of a worker

Accidents must be reported where they result in an employee or self-employed person being away from work, or unable to perform their normal work duties, for more than seven consecutive days as the result of their injury. This seven day period does not include the day of the accident but does include weekends and rest days. The report must be made within 15 days of the accident.

Over-three-day incapacitation

Accidents must be recorded, but not reported where they result in a worker being incapacitated for more than three consecutive days. If you are an employer, who must keep an accident book under the Social Security (Claims and Payments) Regulations 1979, that record will be enough.

Occupational diseases

The following list of (diagnosed) occupational diseases, which are likely to have been caused or made worse by work, must be reported:

  • carpal tunnel syndrome
  • severe cramp of the hand or forearm
  • occupational dermatitis
  • hand-arm vibration syndrome
  • occupational asthma
  • tendonitis or tenosynovitis of the hand or forearm
  • any occupational cancer
  • any disease attributed to an occupational exposure to a biological agent.

Dangerous occurrences/near misses

These are specified ‘near miss’ events which have the potential to cause harm. Not all near misses need to be reported, a full list is available in Schedule 2 to the RIDDOR 2013 Regulations.

Common near misses include the collapse, overturning or failure of load-bearing parts of lifts and lifting equipment, plant or equipment coming into contact with overhead power lines, and explosions or fires resulting in work being stopped for over 24 hours.

Gas incidents

If you’re a distributor, filler, importer or supplier of flammable gas who learns (directly or indirectly) that a person has died, lost consciousness or been admitted to hospital from gas which you have either distributed, filled, imported or supplied, you must report this online.

Gas engineers that are registered with the Gas Safe Register must report details of any gas appliances or fittings which you think could be dangerous and result in gas leaks, inadequate combustion or inadequate removal of products of the combustion of gas. The danger may be from the way the appliance or fitting is designed, constructed, installed, modified or serviced.

Here’s some other information that might be of use.


Road traffic accidents, except if the accident involved:

  • loading/unloading a vehicle
  • work on the side of the road i.e. construction or maintenance works
  • a substance being carried by the vehicle which escaped
  • a train.
  • Medical or dental treatment or examinations.
  • Duties carried out by the armed forces whilst on duty.

We hope that these points have helped to clear up some questions but if there are specific questions relating to this and your business amb insurance can create a policy that covers you and your business so you don’t have to worry – call today to organise a consultation.